Rajoy sworn in as Spanish Prime Minister
Madrid: Conservative Mariano Rajoy has been sworn in before King Juan Carlos to become Spain`s new Prime Minister.
Rajoy`s Popular Party won a landslide victory in Nov. 20 elections on promises to lift Spain out of its economic crisis.
Rajoy took the oath Wednesday in the Zarzuela Palace on Madrid`s outskirts. He is to name his Cabinet of ministers later in the day.
He replaces Socialist party leader Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, who took office in 2004.
A real estate bubble in Spain burst in 2009, starting a near two-year recession that has left the country with a eurozone high unemployment rate of 21.5 percent as well as a swollen deficit and a stalled economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider