Rajoy sworn in as Spanish Prime Minister
Madrid: Conservative Mariano Rajoy has been sworn in before King Juan Carlos to become Spain`s new Prime Minister.
Rajoy`s Popular Party won a landslide victory in Nov. 20 elections on promises to lift Spain out of its economic crisis.
Rajoy took the oath Wednesday in the Zarzuela Palace on Madrid`s outskirts. He is to name his Cabinet of ministers later in the day.
He replaces Socialist party leader Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, who took office in 2004.
A real estate bubble in Spain burst in 2009, starting a near two-year recession that has left the country with a eurozone high unemployment rate of 21.5 percent as well as a swollen deficit and a stalled economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi