Rajoy sworn in as Spanish Prime Minister
Madrid: Conservative Mariano Rajoy has been sworn in before King Juan Carlos to become Spain`s new Prime Minister.
Rajoy`s Popular Party won a landslide victory in Nov. 20 elections on promises to lift Spain out of its economic crisis.
Rajoy took the oath Wednesday in the Zarzuela Palace on Madrid`s outskirts. He is to name his Cabinet of ministers later in the day.
He replaces Socialist party leader Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, who took office in 2004.
A real estate bubble in Spain burst in 2009, starting a near two-year recession that has left the country with a eurozone high unemployment rate of 21.5 percent as well as a swollen deficit and a stalled economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP