Raúl Castro secures commitments in China
Beijing: Talks here on Thursday between Chinese President Hu Jintao and Cuba`s Raúl Castro ended with the signing of eight accords, including one on a loan to finance improvements to health infrastructure on the Caribbean island.
The loan, the amount of which was not made public, was signed by the general director of the National Bank of Cuba, Juliana Maritza Martinez, and China Development Bank chief Chen Yuan after the meeting the two leaders held in the Great Hall of the People.
In addition, Cuban Vice President Ricardo Cabrisas and Chinese Trade Minister Chen Deming signed two economic and technical cooperation agreements that include donations and interest-free loans, but the amounts covered in these accords were not made public either.
"For us it is a matter of great pride to maintain relations with all the institutions of the People`s Republic of China and with its people," said Castro, whose Asia tour - which also includes a visit to Vietnam - seeks to garner support for his economic reform process from other communist regimes who began such a process years ago.
Hu said at the beginning of his meeting with Castro that since Raúl formally succeeded ailing older brother Fidel as president in 2008 "the traditional friendship between China and Cuba has developed greatly".
"We`re certain that this visit will increase cooperation on the highest levels," said the Chinese President, who recalled that he had visited Cuba on three occasions.
Before the meeting with Hu, Castro held a more relaxed meeting with Parliament Speaker Wu Bangguo, who alluded to the fact that the Cuban leader had come to China to meet with both the top current leadership in Beijing as well as with the new leaders who will assume power in the coming months.
This is Raúl Castro’s first visit to China as Cuba`s head of state, although he travelled to the Asian giant in 1997 and 2005 to examine the "Chinese experiment" on economic reform without a political opening, and now he is aiming to obtain Beijing`s support for the changes he is attempting to carry out in Cuba.
Castro has initiated an economic opening on the island that recalls the first years of the Chinese reform, including the reduction of bloated state payrolls and fewer restrictions on private initiative.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27