Ramadan begins today in Gulf
Dubai: The holy month of Ramadan, which marks a 30-day period of fasting for Muslims, begins Wednesday in the Gulf nations and many other parts of the world.
People across the Gulf, in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar, will observe the first day of the month today.
In UAE, the announcement was made following the sighting of the moon of Ramadan and contacts with neighbouring countries.
Wednesday will also be the first day of Ramadan in Jordan, Egypt, Libya, Indonesia, and Malaysia.
Qatar`s Moon Sighting Committee of the Ministry of Awqaf (Endowments) and Islamic Affairs announced yesterday evening that today will be the first day of the holy month of Ramadan for the Islamic year 1431 Hijiri.
Muslims observe the ninth month of the lunar calender as the month of fasting, whereby they abstain from food and water from sunrise to sunset.
Fasting during the month is one of the five pillars of Islam, along with belief in one God, prayers, charity and pilgrimage to Mecca.
Syria and Yemen also announced that Ramadan will begin today. However, in Oman the month will begin on Thursday as the new moon was not sighted in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday