Rao meets families of Gurdwara shooting victims
Washington: Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao was briefed by the FBI and local police about the investigation into the Gurdwara shooting incident as she visited Milwaukee to offer support to the victims and their families.
As expressions of support poured in from across the nation, with people holding peace rallies and candle light vigils in dozens of cities, Rao flew in from Washington to the tragedy struck city in Wisconsin.
The Indian Ambassador also met the Oak Creek Mayor Steve Scaffidi besides officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the local police who provided her a first had assessment of the ongoing investigation.
They briefed the Indian Ambassador on how the incident happened and the steps that are now being taken by the police and local administration for the protection of the Sikh community as well as the status of the investigation.
Later in the evening, she attended a community vigil held in honour of the shooting victims where she briefly addressed those attending the meet to honour those killed in the shooting incident.
She met the victims` families in Oak Creek including relatives of Satwant Singh Kaleka, the slain president of the Gurdwara, who confronted the shooter and helped save the lives of several worshippers.
In her meetings with the victims` families, Rao expressed her condolences and sympathies and offered all kinds of assistance on behalf of the Indian government.
"Struck by calm&composure of victim families. No trace of rancor. But their tears would fill an ocean, make it overflow," Rao tweeted after her meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah