Rao meets families of Gurdwara shooting victims
Washington: Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao was briefed by the FBI and local police about the investigation into the Gurdwara shooting incident as she visited Milwaukee to offer support to the victims and their families.
As expressions of support poured in from across the nation, with people holding peace rallies and candle light vigils in dozens of cities, Rao flew in from Washington to the tragedy struck city in Wisconsin.
The Indian Ambassador also met the Oak Creek Mayor Steve Scaffidi besides officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the local police who provided her a first had assessment of the ongoing investigation.
They briefed the Indian Ambassador on how the incident happened and the steps that are now being taken by the police and local administration for the protection of the Sikh community as well as the status of the investigation.
Later in the evening, she attended a community vigil held in honour of the shooting victims where she briefly addressed those attending the meet to honour those killed in the shooting incident.
She met the victims` families in Oak Creek including relatives of Satwant Singh Kaleka, the slain president of the Gurdwara, who confronted the shooter and helped save the lives of several worshippers.
In her meetings with the victims` families, Rao expressed her condolences and sympathies and offered all kinds of assistance on behalf of the Indian government.
"Struck by calm&composure of victim families. No trace of rancor. But their tears would fill an ocean, make it overflow," Rao tweeted after her meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!