Rape common problem around the world: Report
London: Rape is a common problem around the world and not just in India, though they might have different attitude towards the crime, according to a report.
A report in the Daily Mirror said that a 23-year old, who recently succumbed to her injuries, was so badly raped and beaten that she needed her intestines removed because she lived in India.
Her story is so horrific that it sparked vigils, protests, marches on parliament, and police tear gas the angry crowds.
The report revealed that last year a total of 23,582 rapes were reported in India, which equates to one every 20 minutes.
In India, there is anecdotal evidence that police ignore rape claims, refuse to investigate them and even further abuse the victims, the report said.
According to the report, between 1990 and 2008 the number of rape reports in India has doubled, something which must, in part, be due to changes in society and social mobility which make it easier for victims to come forward without feeling shame.
The report said that in contrast in the UK, things are much better. Across the developed world women are safer, victims are treated with compassion and all rapists are jailed.
Crime statistics show 15,934 rapes were reported to police in Britain in 2010, about one every 40 minutes.
According to the report, a poll by Amnesty International found a third of all Britons thought a woman who had flirted with her attacker was partly or completely to blame for being raped.
The report said that in Norway, one in 10 women is raped, whereas Sweden has twice as many rapes per head of the population as the UK. In South Africa a survey of 1,500 schoolboys in Soweto found a quarter of them thought gang-rape was fun.
According to the UN only one in 10 male rape victims worldwide will ever report it.
In America, one in five women are raped, the report said, adding that in Malaysia women are told to forsake lipstick if they want to be safe.
The Italian courts in 1999 cleared an alleged rapist on the grounds his victim was wearing tight jeans.
Rapists are everywhere. They`re in Norway, Sweden, America and Britain. It does not just happen in poor, dirty, backward places, it happens in rich, clean, backward places too, the report said.
The report said that at least in India there are more victims coming forward. At least they are having vigils, and protests, and annoying the government enough it rolls out the tear gas and riot squads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof