‘Rape does not happen on college campuses’
Washington: Fox News commentator Bob Beckel stunned his own co-hosts after he suggested that rape does not happen on college campuses.
During Tuesday’s ‘The Five’, the Fox News roundtable was debating Colorado legislation that would allow women to carry concealed weapons to prevent sexual assault at colleges.
Beckel was sceptical, and asked ‘when was the last time you heard about rape on a college campus?’
According to the Huffington Post, Beckel asked if rapes on campus were rampant. To which Dana Perino said that it was and in particular, date rape on campus.
Beckel said that yes, date rape, that’s one problem, conceding ‘but you gonna take a gun out and shoot your date?’
According to the Centre for Disease Control, an estimated 20 to 25 percent of women in college reported experiencing an attempted or a completed rape during college.
New York University’s statistics about rape on campuses also report that one in five women were raped during their college years.
Beckel is no stranger to making controversial statements on air. Earlier this month, he referred to the appearance of his eyes as ‘Oriental’, and was quickly reprimanded by co-host Kimberly Guilfoyle, the report said.
He has also dropped the f-bomb numerous times on ‘The Five’.
It’s also far from the first time a Fox News pundit has gotten into trouble because of comments about rape, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends