‘Rape does not happen on college campuses’
Washington: Fox News commentator Bob Beckel stunned his own co-hosts after he suggested that rape does not happen on college campuses.
During Tuesday’s ‘The Five’, the Fox News roundtable was debating Colorado legislation that would allow women to carry concealed weapons to prevent sexual assault at colleges.
Beckel was sceptical, and asked ‘when was the last time you heard about rape on a college campus?’
According to the Huffington Post, Beckel asked if rapes on campus were rampant. To which Dana Perino said that it was and in particular, date rape on campus.
Beckel said that yes, date rape, that’s one problem, conceding ‘but you gonna take a gun out and shoot your date?’
According to the Centre for Disease Control, an estimated 20 to 25 percent of women in college reported experiencing an attempted or a completed rape during college.
New York University’s statistics about rape on campuses also report that one in five women were raped during their college years.
Beckel is no stranger to making controversial statements on air. Earlier this month, he referred to the appearance of his eyes as ‘Oriental’, and was quickly reprimanded by co-host Kimberly Guilfoyle, the report said.
He has also dropped the f-bomb numerous times on ‘The Five’.
It’s also far from the first time a Fox News pundit has gotten into trouble because of comments about rape, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy