Rape rarely leads to pregnancy, says another Republican
New York: Now, another Republican has sparked a row saying pregnancies by rape are rare because a woman`s body is traumatized by the violence.
Celeste Greig, president of the California Republican Assembly, made the remarks to the San Jose Mercury News ahead of this weekend`s state GOP convention in Sacramento.
Greig was responding to a question about former Missouri Senate candidate Todd Akin, who gave an outrageous definition of `legitimate rape`, saying women`s bodies have the power to prevent pregnancy.
According to the New York Post, Greig said Akin`s comment was insensitive and required an apology, but she then gave a similar remark.
She said `the percentage of pregnancies due to rape is small because it`s an act of violence, because the body is traumatized.`
"I don`t know what percentage of pregnancies are due to the violence of rape. Because of the trauma the body goes through, I don`t know what percentage of pregnancy results from the act."
Greig`s comments come as the California Republican Party is trying to reboot its image after years of election defeats and registration declines.
Public opinion surveys show Republican s are consistently in the minority on a range of social issues supported by a majority of California voters, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA