Raul Castro non-speaker at key Cuba event
Santa Clara: President Raul Castro has refrained from speaking at celebrations marking the start of Cuba`s communist revolution, dashing expectations he would announce a loosening of controls on the island`s economy.
Instead, Vice President Jose Ramon Machado, an old-guard Castro loyalist, told a crowd of some 90,000 that Cuba`s leaders "will act without populist, demagogic or deceitful
solutions" as they strive to improve the economy.
"We will move forward with a sense of responsibility, step by step, at a pace that we will determine, without improvisations or haste in order to not make mistakes and to
definitely leave behind mistakes or measures that do reconcile with actual conditions," Machado said.
At the same anniversary event in 2007, Raul Castro said he accepted the need for "structural changes" in the economy. More recently he has spoken of an urgent need to "update the model" of Cuba`s economic growth.
Comments favouring changes in the economy, such as increasing privately-owned small businesses, have even appeared recently in the state-run media, fuelling public
speculation that changes were afoot.
But Machado said that Cuba`s leaders "will continue the study, analysis and decision making that would lead to improving our efficiency" across the board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!