Re-enactment marks 200th anniversary of Borodino
Borodino: Two hundred years after the key battle of the French-Russian war, thousands of enthusiasts are re-enacting the clash.
The Battle of Borodino, in which Napoleon Bonaparte`s Army fought against Czarist troops and Cossacks, claimed at least 70,000 lives by most estimates. It was glorified in Leo Tolstoy`s "War and Peace”.
The battle, which took place about 100 kilometres west of Moscow, pushed Russian forces out of position and Napoleon`s Army eventually seized the capital. But the Russian withdrawal at Borodino had preserved the Army`s strength and Napoleon was forced to retreat from Moscow a few weeks later.
On Sunday, former French president Valaory Giscard d`Estaing opened the re-enactment, in which almost 3,000 enthusiasts from Russia, France and 20 other countries took part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands