Re-enactment marks 200th anniversary of Borodino
Borodino: Two hundred years after the key battle of the French-Russian war, thousands of enthusiasts are re-enacting the clash.
The Battle of Borodino, in which Napoleon Bonaparte`s Army fought against Czarist troops and Cossacks, claimed at least 70,000 lives by most estimates. It was glorified in Leo Tolstoy`s "War and Peace”.
The battle, which took place about 100 kilometres west of Moscow, pushed Russian forces out of position and Napoleon`s Army eventually seized the capital. But the Russian withdrawal at Borodino had preserved the Army`s strength and Napoleon was forced to retreat from Moscow a few weeks later.
On Sunday, former French president Valaory Giscard d`Estaing opened the re-enactment, in which almost 3,000 enthusiasts from Russia, France and 20 other countries took part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan