Re-enactment marks 200th anniversary of Borodino
Borodino: Two hundred years after the key battle of the French-Russian war, thousands of enthusiasts are re-enacting the clash.
The Battle of Borodino, in which Napoleon Bonaparte`s Army fought against Czarist troops and Cossacks, claimed at least 70,000 lives by most estimates. It was glorified in Leo Tolstoy`s "War and Peace”.
The battle, which took place about 100 kilometres west of Moscow, pushed Russian forces out of position and Napoleon`s Army eventually seized the capital. But the Russian withdrawal at Borodino had preserved the Army`s strength and Napoleon was forced to retreat from Moscow a few weeks later.
On Sunday, former French president Valaory Giscard d`Estaing opened the re-enactment, in which almost 3,000 enthusiasts from Russia, France and 20 other countries took part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore