Ready to defend Syria against Israel, US, says Hezbollah
Beirut: The Lebanese Hezbollah`s political council has said the group stands ready to engage in the fight to prevent Syria`s collapse as well as being controlled by Israel and the US, a media report said.
Ibrahim Amin al-Sayyed, head of the council, said the reason behind being involved in the Syrian crisis was that "we do not accept Syria being under control of this (Israeli-US) axis", Xinhua reported.
He said he wishes Israel and the US let the Syrians alone to decide their fate and future.
The Lebanese government has officially followed the policy to distance the country from the Syrian conflict.
Xinhua said that since March 2011, the Syrian conflict has fuelled tensions between Lebanon`s Sunnis and Shia communities.
Hezbollah`s secretary general Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said his group was "performing a national duty" toward Lebanese Shias living in Syrian border towns, by supporting their "popular committees" and vowed that the real "friends" of Syria would not allow it to fall down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy