Rebel body `legitimate` representative of Libyans: Jordan
Amman: Jordan said on Tuesday that it recognises
the National Transitional Council as the "legitimate
representative" of the Libyan people and intends to appoint an
envoy to Benghazi, the rebels` capital.
Jordan`s Foreign Minister Nasser Jawdeh "informed
Mahmud Jibril, the head of the NTC executive committee, that
Jordan considers the council to be the legitimate
representative of the Libyan people and the legitimate
interlocutor that expresses the aspirations of the Libyan
people," the official news agency Petra reported.
It said Jordan will appoint a "permanent envoy to
Benghazi to strengthen coordination with the NTC."
Britain, France, Gambia, Italy and Qatar have already
recognised the rebel council as their sole interlocutor in
The NTC, the administrative body of the Libyan rebels,
refuses any negotiations with Muammar Gaddafi and has been
demanding his departure since the start of the revolt against
his more than four-decade rule in February.
Since April, Jordan has provided humanitarian aid to
Libya, but has clarified it is not participating militarily in
the international operations against Gaddafi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM