Rebel body `legitimate` representative of Libyans: Jordan
Amman: Jordan said on Tuesday that it recognises
the National Transitional Council as the "legitimate
representative" of the Libyan people and intends to appoint an
envoy to Benghazi, the rebels` capital.
Jordan`s Foreign Minister Nasser Jawdeh "informed
Mahmud Jibril, the head of the NTC executive committee, that
Jordan considers the council to be the legitimate
representative of the Libyan people and the legitimate
interlocutor that expresses the aspirations of the Libyan
people," the official news agency Petra reported.
It said Jordan will appoint a "permanent envoy to
Benghazi to strengthen coordination with the NTC."
Britain, France, Gambia, Italy and Qatar have already
recognised the rebel council as their sole interlocutor in
The NTC, the administrative body of the Libyan rebels,
refuses any negotiations with Muammar Gaddafi and has been
demanding his departure since the start of the revolt against
his more than four-decade rule in February.
Since April, Jordan has provided humanitarian aid to
Libya, but has clarified it is not participating militarily in
the international operations against Gaddafi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?