Rebels attack post in Russian Caucasus republic, 11 killed
Moscow: Suspected Muslim rebels killed 11 people in an attack on a police post in the Russian region of Dagestan on Thursday evening, local officials said.
Some 15 masked gunmen sprayed bullets at the building, killing four policemen and seven young women who were in an adjacent sauna, Dagestan`s Interior Ministry said in the capital, Makhachkala.
The attackers later fled, according to the Russian news agency Interfax.
There has been a spate of violence recently in Dagestan and other regions of the predominantly Muslim north Caucasus such as Chechnya and Ingushetia.
The violence involves both criminal gangs and Islamic extremists who are fighting to end Russian dominance.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Five indicators of India's looming demographic disaster
- 13 Indians died in Pakistan jails since 2013, India calls for thorough investigation
- 'Invisible hand' behind inaction of CBI, ED in AgustaWestland probe, says Manohar Parrikar in Rajya Sabha
- 'Will give up public life if found guilty in AgustaWestland scam'
- Date for estranged love-birds: Virat Kohli planning a dinner for Anushka Sharma?