Rebels attack post in Russian Caucasus republic, 11 killed
Moscow: Suspected Muslim rebels killed 11 people in an attack on a police post in the Russian region of Dagestan on Thursday evening, local officials said.
Some 15 masked gunmen sprayed bullets at the building, killing four policemen and seven young women who were in an adjacent sauna, Dagestan`s Interior Ministry said in the capital, Makhachkala.
The attackers later fled, according to the Russian news agency Interfax.
There has been a spate of violence recently in Dagestan and other regions of the predominantly Muslim north Caucasus such as Chechnya and Ingushetia.
The violence involves both criminal gangs and Islamic extremists who are fighting to end Russian dominance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials