Rebels attack post in Russian Caucasus republic, 11 killed
Moscow: Suspected Muslim rebels killed 11 people in an attack on a police post in the Russian region of Dagestan on Thursday evening, local officials said.
Some 15 masked gunmen sprayed bullets at the building, killing four policemen and seven young women who were in an adjacent sauna, Dagestan`s Interior Ministry said in the capital, Makhachkala.
The attackers later fled, according to the Russian news agency Interfax.
There has been a spate of violence recently in Dagestan and other regions of the predominantly Muslim north Caucasus such as Chechnya and Ingushetia.
The violence involves both criminal gangs and Islamic extremists who are fighting to end Russian dominance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees