Rebels attack post in Russian Caucasus republic, 11 killed
Moscow: Suspected Muslim rebels killed 11 people in an attack on a police post in the Russian region of Dagestan on Thursday evening, local officials said.
Some 15 masked gunmen sprayed bullets at the building, killing four policemen and seven young women who were in an adjacent sauna, Dagestan`s Interior Ministry said in the capital, Makhachkala.
The attackers later fled, according to the Russian news agency Interfax.
There has been a spate of violence recently in Dagestan and other regions of the predominantly Muslim north Caucasus such as Chechnya and Ingushetia.
The violence involves both criminal gangs and Islamic extremists who are fighting to end Russian dominance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof