Rebels kill Syrian Air Force general
Syria: A senior Syrian Air Force general, Mahmoud al-Khalidi was shot dead by the rebels in a Damascus suburb, as per state television reports quoted by the BBC.
The incident took place late on Monday in the capital`s Rukn al-Din district.
The rebels have already attacked a lot of high-level figures from President Bashar al-Assad`s administration. This recent blow will surely hurt the Syrian government.
Earlier in July, the country`s defence minister, Assef Shawkat was also killed by a rebel bomb. Assef Shawkat was Assad`s brother-in-law.
"As part of their campaign to target national personalities and scientists, armed terrorist groups assassinated Air Force General Abdullah Mahmud al-Khalidi in the Damascus district of Rukn al-Din," the broadcaster said.
It added that he was one of Syria`s foremost experts in aviation.
He was also a member of the Syrian Air Force command, Agence France Presse reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?