Rebels kill Syrian Air Force general
Syria: A senior Syrian Air Force general, Mahmoud al-Khalidi was shot dead by the rebels in a Damascus suburb, as per state television reports quoted by the BBC.
The incident took place late on Monday in the capital`s Rukn al-Din district.
The rebels have already attacked a lot of high-level figures from President Bashar al-Assad`s administration. This recent blow will surely hurt the Syrian government.
Earlier in July, the country`s defence minister, Assef Shawkat was also killed by a rebel bomb. Assef Shawkat was Assad`s brother-in-law.
"As part of their campaign to target national personalities and scientists, armed terrorist groups assassinated Air Force General Abdullah Mahmud al-Khalidi in the Damascus district of Rukn al-Din," the broadcaster said.
It added that he was one of Syria`s foremost experts in aviation.
He was also a member of the Syrian Air Force command, Agence France Presse reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets