Rebels kill Syrian Air Force general
Syria: A senior Syrian Air Force general, Mahmoud al-Khalidi was shot dead by the rebels in a Damascus suburb, as per state television reports quoted by the BBC.
The incident took place late on Monday in the capital`s Rukn al-Din district.
The rebels have already attacked a lot of high-level figures from President Bashar al-Assad`s administration. This recent blow will surely hurt the Syrian government.
Earlier in July, the country`s defence minister, Assef Shawkat was also killed by a rebel bomb. Assef Shawkat was Assad`s brother-in-law.
"As part of their campaign to target national personalities and scientists, armed terrorist groups assassinated Air Force General Abdullah Mahmud al-Khalidi in the Damascus district of Rukn al-Din," the broadcaster said.
It added that he was one of Syria`s foremost experts in aviation.
He was also a member of the Syrian Air Force command, Agence France Presse reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men