Rebels push US to shut Central African Republic embassy
Washington: The US has evacuated its embassy in the Central African Republic as rebels there continue to advance and violence escalates.
The State Department has not just ordered the ambassador and his diplomatic team to leave but also warned US citizens against travel to the Central African Republic.
According to Lt Col Todd Breasseale, a Pentagon spokesman, at the State Department`s request, Defence Secretary Leon Panetta had directed US Africa Command to evacuate US citizens and designated foreign nationals from the US embassy in Bangui "to safe havens in the region”.
State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said the US embassy had temporarily suspended operations, but not diplomatic relations with the country.
"This decision is solely due to concerns about the security of our personnel and has no relation to our continuing and long-standing diplomatic relations" with the Central African Republic, Ventrell said in a statement.
Shortly after announcing the evacuation on Thursday, the State Department warned US citizens against travel to the Central African Republic, saying it could not "provide protection or routine consular services to US citizens" and urging Americans who have decided to stay to "review their personal security situation and seriously consider departing" on commercial flights. Four days earlier, the State Department had issued a warning recommending against travel to the country and authorising its non-emergency personnel in Bangui to leave.
US officials said about 40 people were evacuated on an US Air Force plane bound for Kenya. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren`t authorised to discuss the details of the operation.
The departure of Ambassador Laurence Wohlers and his staff comes as the President of the Central African Republic on Thursday urgently called on France and other foreign powers to help his government fend off rebels who are quickly seizing territory and approaching this capital city, but French officials declined to offer any military assistance.
Rebels have seized at least 10 towns across the sparsely populated north, and residents in the capital of 600,000 people fear insurgents could attack at any time.
The developments suggest the Central African Republic could be on the brink of another violent change in government, something not new to the impoverished country. The current President, Francois Bozize, himself came to power nearly a decade ago in the wake of a rebellion.
Speaking to crowds in Bangui, Bozize pleaded with foreign powers to do what they could. He pointed in particular to France, Central African Republic`s former colonial ruler.
About 200 French soldiers are already in the country, providing technical support and helping to train the local army, according to the French Defence Ministry.
French President Francois Hollande said on Thursday that France wants to protect its interests in Central African Republic and not Bozize`s government. Paris is encouraging peace talks between the government and the rebels.
US President Barack Obama late last year sent about 100 U.S. special operations forces to the region — including Central African Republic — to assist in the hunt for Joseph Kony, the fugitive rebel leader of the notorious Lord`s Resistance Army. Forces have been hunting the elusive warlord in Central African Republic, South Sudan and Congo.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars