Record 70 reporters killed worldwide in 2009: Rights group
United Nations: A record total of 70 journalists were killed in their work around the world last year, including 31 in the Philippines, the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) said in its annual survey.
The 350-page report released yesterday said the record toll was driven by the mass, election-related killings in the Philippines` Maguindanao province, the deadliest event
for the press in CPJ history and escalating violence in Somalia.
The survey titled "Attacks on the Press in 2009" noted that last year`s tally surpassed the previous record of 67 deaths set in 2007 when violence in Iraq was pervasive.
Some 41 fatalities were recorded in 2008.
The survey, which was unveiled ata press conference here Tuesday, identified 136 reporters, editors and photojournalists behind bars as of last December 1, up 11 from
As in the previous 10 years, China remained the world`s worst jailer of journalists last year -- 24 held, including 22 freelancers -- followed by Iran, Cuba, Eritrea and Myanmar.
Maziar Bahari, an Iranian-Canadian correspondent for Newsweek who was jailed in Iran in June and released four months later, told reporters that more than 100 journalists, bloggers and writers had been arrested in Iran at different periods since last June`s disputed presidential polls, including more than 65 who were still behind bars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video