Record heat in Russia; prisoners allowed to get in fans
Moscow: With mercury breaking all records
in Russia, prisons in the country have allowed inmates to get
in electric fans to beat the heat and jail authorities have
been asked to ensure proper ventilation in cells.
The temperatures have soared in Russia this summer,
nearing the 40-degree Celsius mark and July becoming the
hottest month on record in Moscow.
"The relatives have been allowed to pass on electric
fans to jail inmates and the authorities are carrying out a
set of measures, including constant monitoring of temperature
and ventilation in the prison cells," the spokesman of Moscow
Prisons Department Sergei Tsigankov was quoted as saying by
Daylight temperatures have broken 11 records, and the
abnormal heat wave, with 37-39 degrees Celsius, is expected to
continue in the foreseeable future, weather office said.
The the nearby peat bogs fires have added suffocating
smoke to the unbearable heat conditions in the Russian
An absolute temperature record of 37.2 degrees Celsius
was registered in Moscow on Monday, and since then every day
it is broken several times a day, spokesman for the local
meteorological bureau reported.
Due to almost two months of arid and hot summer,
Russia is facing the worst drought since 1972.
Speaking on Rossiya 24 channel, environmentalists
suggest that the heat wave may be not only a symptom of global
warming, but of a climate change as in the winter Moscow and
most of Russia had weathered chilling cold below minus 30
Russia`s Chief Sanitary Doctor Gennady Onishchenko has
advised Muscovites to install air-conditioners in their
apartments as the country could face more such abnormal hot
Observers here recall that after the scorching heat of
1972, the ruling Soviet Communist Party had decided to build a
plant for the production of air-conditioners in Azeri capital
Baku, then part of the ex-USSR, which became operational
within two years in 1974.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks