Record rain pounds Chinese capital, 37 killed
Beijing: At least 37 people were killed and nearly two million people affected in the heaviest rains in six decades that lashed the Chinese capital over the weekend, authorities said on Sunday.
Among the victims, 25 were drowned, six were killed in house collapses, one by lightning strike and five were electrocuted, according to the Information Office of the municipal government.
About 1.9 million people were affected by the downpour which also incurred nearly CNY 10 billion (USD 1.6 billion) in economic losses, said Pan Anjun, the deputy chief of the Beijing flood control headquarters.
As of 6 pm (local time) today, about 66,000 residents have been relocated, including 20,990 in suburban district of Fangshan alone, Pan said.
The rains have caused multiple damages to roads and bridges, including 31 road cave-ins. More than 1,200 houses or buildings have seen leakages and 736 houses were flooded, Anjun said.
The average precipitation reached 170 mm in Beijing as a whole while that of the urban area hit 225 mm in the 16 hours of heavy rains, Anjun said.
In Fangshan, the maximum precipitation, 460 mm, was recorded in Hebei Township. Road traffic in 12 townships was disrupted. Mobile telecommunication services and Internet access were cut off in six townships, the headquarters said.
The downpours submerged some power supply facilities and led to blackouts in parts of the city. Train services between Beijing and Guangzhou were suspended as the railway line section at Nangangwa, Fengtai district, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
A flash flood in Fangshan stranded 104 primary school students and nine teachers at a military training site, Xinhua said. It said they were in no immediate danger and that rescuers had taken food to them.
More than 12,000 people worked for draining one million cubic meters of water from streets. Most puddles in the city were cleared by this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog