Red Cross suspends work in Indonesia`s Aceh
Banda Aceh (Indonesia): The Red Cross suspended its activities in the Indonesian province of Aceh for a day on Friday after one of its German workers was shot and wounded by gunmen on a motorbike.
The international organisation decided on the shutdown after Thursday`s shooting of Erhard Bauer, 50, on the outskirts of the provincial capital Banda Aceh, local Indonesian Red Cross chief Bustari Mansyur said.
Bauer, the representative for the Red Cross`s German branch in the province on the northern tip of Sumatra, was shot in the stomach and arm by two men while riding in a car.
He was flown to Singapore for treatment but his condition was not known.
"We suspended the activities of the International Federation of the Red Cross and the Indonesian Red Cross in Aceh today," Masyur said.
"We are concerned about the shooting," he said, without giving further details.
Aceh police spokesman Farid Ahmad Saleh said no motive had yet been found for the shooting. Aceh has experienced sporadic low-level violence, including armed robberies and politically-motivated grenade and gun attacks, despite the 2005 end of a three-decade separatist war that has claimed around 15,000 lives.
The deeply Islamic province is home to a large but steadily declining number of international organisations, who arrived to help in the wake of the 2004 Asian tsunami, which killed 168,000 people in Aceh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days