Refugees die in boat accident off Spanish coast
Granada: Five African refugees including two babies died in a boat accident about 80 km south of Motril on the southern Spanish coast, officials said on Saturday evening.
The boat, which foundered at sea, was carrying 40 passengers and was thought to have come from Morocco.
The boat started rocking as the coast guard came near with its rescue ship and some of the refugees stood up. Two men, a woman and the two small babies drowned.
The other refugees were brought to land and seen to by doctors, then sent to a refugee intake centre.
A second boat with 36 illegal immigrants on board was stopped near Almeria just hours before the boat accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning