Refugees die in boat accident off Spanish coast
Granada: Five African refugees including two babies died in a boat accident about 80 km south of Motril on the southern Spanish coast, officials said on Saturday evening.
The boat, which foundered at sea, was carrying 40 passengers and was thought to have come from Morocco.
The boat started rocking as the coast guard came near with its rescue ship and some of the refugees stood up. Two men, a woman and the two small babies drowned.
The other refugees were brought to land and seen to by doctors, then sent to a refugee intake centre.
A second boat with 36 illegal immigrants on board was stopped near Almeria just hours before the boat accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH