Regional bloc backs Ouattara as President of Ivory Coast
Abuja: West African nations on Wednesday asked
Ivory Coast`s Laurent Gbagbo to accept his rival Alassane
Ouattara as the country`s new President and immediately hand
over the power to him.
Leaders of regional bloc Economic Community of West
African States (ECOWAS), who met here to review the political
impasse in the West African country, ordered Gbagbo to
immediately hand over the power to Ouattara.
Chairman of the regional body and Nigerian President
Goodluck Jonathan read out the decision of the member states
which included the suspension of Ivory Coast from all ECOWAS
"The summit called on Laurent Gbagbo to abide by the
results of the second round of Presidential elections as
certified by UNOCI and to yield power without delay, in the
best interest of the Ivorian people," the communique said.
A presidential runoff on November 28 between the two
men was expected to end an eight-year political problem in the
country but the intervention of Gbagbo led to the emergence of
two presidents and two prime ministers.
The electoral commission declared Ouattara winner but
the incumbent President Gbagbo reviewed the election and
declared himself winner.
Both swore themselves in on the same day thereby
raising the fear of possible outbreak of civil war.
The country had witnessed a civil war in 2002 in which
the government controlled the south while the rebels ruled the
The UN has 9,000 peacekeepers in the country and has
put in efforts toward reunification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly