Relatives of Chinese landslide victims protest hasty cremation
Beijing: Relatives of the victims of the recent landslides at a village in southwest China`s Yunnan province have protested over hasty cremation of the bodies without their approval.
The people gathered on the road to the landslide rescue and disaster relief headquarters in Zhenxiong County last night, blocking dozens of vehicles, Zhu Henghui, office director with the Zhenxiong County Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC), said today.
The landslide, which occurred in the Zhenxiong village of Gaopo on Friday, killed 46 villagers and injured another two.
Government authorities had cremated all the bodies by yesterday, triggering anger from the victims` family members, state-run news agency Xinhua reported.
According to the tradition of the village, where dwellers are mostly of Yi ethnicity, bodies of the dead are usually buried instead of cremated.
Moreover, the family members, most of whom worked in cities and escaped the disaster, said they did not even have a chance to say goodbye to their deceased relatives because of the unapproved cremation.
"I had expected to have a final look at my child," said Zhao Mingcai, a migrant worker who rushed home from the provincial capital of Kunming on hearing the news.
Zhao lost nine of his family members in the landslide, including his child, his brother and sister-in-law.
Lei Chuying, deputy chief of Zhenxiong County, said cremation orders were given with consideration to epidemic prevention as well as the family members` emotions.
"Many parts or organs were missing when the bodies were dug out, and the scene may have left the families devastated," said Lei.
More than 500 villagers have been moved to makeshift tents near the village over fears that a secondary disaster triggered by the landslide could endanger their homes.
Others have gone to stay with relatives and friends in other villages.
The displaced people were being provided with a daily subsidy of 12.5 yuan (USD 2) for the next three months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video