Release `jailed’ American man: US tells N Korea
London: The United States has urged North Korea for an immediate release of a Korean-American man, who has been sentenced to 15 years of hard labour for alleged anti-government crimes. Kenneth Bae, also known as Pae Jun-ho, was detained last year after entering North Korea as a tourist, the reports said on Friday.
The BBC News quoted State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell as saying that the US has urged North Korea to grant amnesty and immediate release to Bae as he has gone through a legal process.
Ventrell further said that US had ``long standing concerns`` about the lack of transparency and due process in North Korea`s legal system and in Bae`s case.
The report said that Sweden, which represents the US in North Korea in the absence of diplomatic ties, had helped to provide counsel to Bae.
Bae was arrested in early November in Rason, a special economic zone in North Korea``s far northeastern region bordering China and Russia.
The exact nature of his alleged crimes has not been revealed, but North Korea accuses Bae, described as a tour operator, of seeking to overthrow North Korea`s leadership.
According to reports, during investigation, Bae had admitted that he committed crimes aimed to topple the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea (DPRK) with hostility toward it. Bae`s sentence came amid high tension between the US and North Korea, after Pyongyang`s third nuclear test, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor