Religious body ready to proceed with caning of Muslim model
Kuala Lumpur: The Islamic religious department of a Malaysian state is ready to proceed with the caning of a Muslim woman model found guilty of drinking beer in public, even as the implementation of the punishment will depend upon the review by a top Shariah court.
Malaysia`s Pahang state`s Islamic Religious Department (JAIP) said it is prepared to proceed with the caning of a Muslim woman who has been sentenced by the Shariah court for drinking beer. Part-time model Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, 32, is likely to be caned after Ramadan.
JAIP director Abdul Manan Abdul Rahman said the implementation of the punishment, however, would depend on the review by the Kuantan Shariah High Court Appeals Panel which was expected to be concluded after Ramadan.
On July 20, Kartika Sari Dewi was fined RM5,000 and ordered to receive six strokes of the cane by the Shariah High Court after pleading guilty to consuming alcohol at a hotel on July 11, 2008.
However, on August 24, the sentence had to be postponed out of respect for the month of Ramadan and the decision was criticised by various quarters.
"Society does not understand the difference between the Sharia caning which aims to educate the offender, and civil caning which is most painful to the offender," he told reporters after a function here yesterday, national news agency Bernama said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Security at Olympics "robust", says IOC chief
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS