Religious body ready to proceed with caning of Muslim model
Kuala Lumpur: The Islamic religious department of a Malaysian state is ready to proceed with the caning of a Muslim woman model found guilty of drinking beer in public, even as the implementation of the punishment will depend upon the review by a top Shariah court.
Malaysia`s Pahang state`s Islamic Religious Department (JAIP) said it is prepared to proceed with the caning of a Muslim woman who has been sentenced by the Shariah court for drinking beer. Part-time model Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, 32, is likely to be caned after Ramadan.
JAIP director Abdul Manan Abdul Rahman said the implementation of the punishment, however, would depend on the review by the Kuantan Shariah High Court Appeals Panel which was expected to be concluded after Ramadan.
On July 20, Kartika Sari Dewi was fined RM5,000 and ordered to receive six strokes of the cane by the Shariah High Court after pleading guilty to consuming alcohol at a hotel on July 11, 2008.
However, on August 24, the sentence had to be postponed out of respect for the month of Ramadan and the decision was criticised by various quarters.
"Society does not understand the difference between the Sharia caning which aims to educate the offender, and civil caning which is most painful to the offender," he told reporters after a function here yesterday, national news agency Bernama said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport