Religious body ready to proceed with caning of Muslim model
Kuala Lumpur: The Islamic religious department of a Malaysian state is ready to proceed with the caning of a Muslim woman model found guilty of drinking beer in public, even as the implementation of the punishment will depend upon the review by a top Shariah court.
Malaysia`s Pahang state`s Islamic Religious Department (JAIP) said it is prepared to proceed with the caning of a Muslim woman who has been sentenced by the Shariah court for drinking beer. Part-time model Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, 32, is likely to be caned after Ramadan.
JAIP director Abdul Manan Abdul Rahman said the implementation of the punishment, however, would depend on the review by the Kuantan Shariah High Court Appeals Panel which was expected to be concluded after Ramadan.
On July 20, Kartika Sari Dewi was fined RM5,000 and ordered to receive six strokes of the cane by the Shariah High Court after pleading guilty to consuming alcohol at a hotel on July 11, 2008.
However, on August 24, the sentence had to be postponed out of respect for the month of Ramadan and the decision was criticised by various quarters.
"Society does not understand the difference between the Sharia caning which aims to educate the offender, and civil caning which is most painful to the offender," he told reporters after a function here yesterday, national news agency Bernama said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog