Religious diversity enriches our cultural fabric: Obama
Washington: Emphasising that America embraces people of "all faiths" and of "no faith", President Barack Obama on Thursday said that the country`s religious diversity that includes Hinduism, Sikhism and Islam, enriches its cultural fabric.
"America embraces people of all faiths and of no faith. We are Christians and Jews, Muslims and Hindus, Buddhists and Sikhs, atheists and agnostics," Obama said in a proclamation to declare January 16 as the Religious Freedom Day.
"Our religious diversity enriches our cultural fabric and reminds us that what binds us as one is not the tenets of our faiths, the colours of our skin, or the origins of our names.
"What makes us American is our adherence to shared ideals -- freedom, equality, justice, and our right as a people to set our own course," he said.
America proudly stands with people of every nation who seek to think, believe, and practice their faiths as they choose, he said.
"In the years to come, my administration will remain committed to promoting religious freedom, both at home and across the globe," Obama said.
He also urged every country to recognise religious freedom as both a universal right and a key to a stable, prosperous, and peaceful future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH