Reporter abducted in Syria worked for Russian intelligence
Moscow: Ukrainian journalist Ankhar Kochneva, who was abducted in Syria in October, has said in a YouTube video that she worked for Russian intelligence.
"I came to Syria in January 2012 as a journalist with a forged ID but my main task was to translate between Syrian officers and their Russian counterparts," Kochneva said in Arabic in a three-minute video. "I`m here (in Syria) at the behest of Russian intelligence."
The 40-year-old journalist said she took part in Syrian army operations in Baba Amro, Zabadani, Aleppo and Idlib.
"They kidnapped me when I was returning from Tartus to Damascus with a captain in the Syrian army whom was assigned to protect me. I ask the government of Russia and Ukraine to respond to the kidnappers` demands."
Kochneva, known as an expert on Syrian affairs and an outspoken supporter of President Bashar al-Assad, has been covering events in various parts of the conflict-torn Arab country freelancing for various media outlets.
The journalist went missing in early October as she travelled to the city of Homs.
On Nov 8, a video in which the kidnapped journalist pleads to the Russian and Ukrainian embassies and the Syrian government to fulfill the kidnappers` demands was posted on the website of the Free Syrian Army.
Ukrainian Foreign Ministry spokesman Oleh Voloshyn said Nov 13 the authorities had been in talks with the abductors, but refused to disclose any details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information