Republican apologises for offensive Obama email
New York: A Californian Republican party
official has apologised for sending an email that depicts
President Barack Obama as a young chimpanzee, in signs that
American political scene may witness an upsurge of racist
overtures after the incumbent announced his intention to seek
The official pictured Obama`s face on the body of a
baby chimpanzee, evoking a stinging public rebuke from the
local Republican party chairman, who also demanded an
ethics investigation into the incident.
Marilyn Davenport, a 74-year-old elected member of the
Orange County Republican Central Committee, sent an apology
email yesterday, asking for the nation`s forgiveness for what
she termed as her "unwise behaviour".
"To my fellow Americans and to everyone else who has
seen the email I forwarded and was offended by my action, I
humbly apologise and ask for your forgiveness of my unwise
behaviour," Davenport said in a statement.
Davenport, who is a Tea Party activist, said she felt
the email was a joke.
The email sent by her on Friday shows an image of a
chimpanzee parents and a child, with Obama`s face superimposed
on the young chimp.
The text beneath the picture read, "Now you know why
no birth certificates", an apparent reference to a demand that
Obama produce more evidence that he is US born.
The cartoon triggered a rebuke for Davenport from the
Californian National Association as well as from the state
Republican party that she issue a written apology.
The White House did not immediately
react to the email.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued