‘Republican Cain accused of sexual harassment’
Washington: Two women employees complained of sexually suggestive behaviour by Republican presidential contender Herman Cain when he headed the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s, Politico said on Sunday.
The women ultimately left the trade group after signing agreements that gave them financial payouts to leave the association and barred them from talking about their departures, the report said.
Cain`s campaign called the allegations "unsubstantiated personal attacks".
The report could damage Cain`s surprisingly strong bid to win the Republican nomination to challenge President Barack Obama in 2012.
Cain, the former CEO of Godfather`s Pizza, has taken a lead in many opinion polls of Republicans in recent weeks despite never having held public office. A recent poll had him ahead of his main rival former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney in Iowa, which holds the first of a series of state-by-state contests to choose the Republican party`s candidate.
Politico said at least two female employees, whom they have identified but decided not to name, complained to colleagues and senior association officials that inappropriate behaviour by Cain made them angry and uncomfortable.
Politico said its story was based on multiple sources.
"Fearing the message of Herman Cain who is shaking up the political landscape in Washington, Inside the Beltway media have begun to launch unsubstantiated personal attacks on Cain," his campaign spokesman JD Gordon said in a statement. He said Politico was "dredging up thinly sourced allegations."
The Cain campaign also responded to Politico on Twitter. "From Team HC: Sadly we`ve seen this movie played out before. Mr Cain and all Americans deserve better," the campaign tweeted.
Asked by Politico about the allegations, Cain said he has "had thousands of people working for me" at different businesses over the years and could not comment "until I see some facts or some concrete evidence."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA