Republican says ‘men can handle violence better than women`
Washington: Republican John ‘Jimmy’ Duncan Jr. has said he does not know if he will vote for a renewal of the Violence Against Women Act, a bill the congressman said has a nice name, and argued that men can handle violence better than women.
According to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, Duncan said that every bill id given a motherhood-and-apple-pie title.
He added that but if you voted [based] on the title, you`d vote for every bill up here. If we`d all done that, the country would have crashed a long time ago."
Duncan, who voted for the reauthorization of VAWA in 2005, said that this bill was another one with a motherhood-and-apple-pie title, the Huffington Post reports.
He said that like most men he was more opposed to violence against women than even violence against men, because most men can handle it a little better than a lot of women can.
According to the report, last week, the Senate passed its VAWA reauthorization bill 78-22.
The legislation includes protections for LGBT, Native American and undocumented immigrant victims of domestic violence, provisions that face opposition from many House Republicans, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?