Republican says ‘men can handle violence better than women`
Washington: Republican John ‘Jimmy’ Duncan Jr. has said he does not know if he will vote for a renewal of the Violence Against Women Act, a bill the congressman said has a nice name, and argued that men can handle violence better than women.
According to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, Duncan said that every bill id given a motherhood-and-apple-pie title.
He added that but if you voted [based] on the title, you`d vote for every bill up here. If we`d all done that, the country would have crashed a long time ago."
Duncan, who voted for the reauthorization of VAWA in 2005, said that this bill was another one with a motherhood-and-apple-pie title, the Huffington Post reports.
He said that like most men he was more opposed to violence against women than even violence against men, because most men can handle it a little better than a lot of women can.
According to the report, last week, the Senate passed its VAWA reauthorization bill 78-22.
The legislation includes protections for LGBT, Native American and undocumented immigrant victims of domestic violence, provisions that face opposition from many House Republicans, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you