Republicans block CNN and NBC from hosting debates
Boston: The Republican National Committee, responding to plans by two television networks to air programmes about Hillary Rodham Clinton, approved a resolution to block CNN and NBC from hosting the party`s presidential primary debates.
The unanimous vote affirmed RNC Chairman Reince Priebus`s threat against the networks if they went ahead with programs about Clinton, the former secretary of state a possible 2016 Democratic presidential contender. Priebus on Friday said CNN has "an obvious bias".
"That`s a network that won`t be hosting a single Republican primary debate," Priebus declared, receiving a standing ovation from Republican activists from across the country gathered for the committee`s summer meeting in Boston.
In a statement, CNN said a division of the company planned to air a documentary about Clinton in 2014.
"The project is in the very early stages of development, months from completion," the CNN statement read. "We encouraged all interested parties to wait until the program premieres before judgements are made about it. Unfortunately, the RNC was not willing to do that."
Meanwhile, the Fox TV Studios has decided not to help produce NBC`s "Hillary" miniseries, said Leslie Oren, the company`s spokeswoman. Fox`s participation attracted attention because it is owned by News Corp. And is a sister company to the Fox News Channel, where the project has come under attack from commentators.
The studio`s decision adds to the already considerable doubt within NBC that the miniseries will ever get made.
The NBC entertainment division`s decision to go ahead with the project was made without consultation with NBC`s news division. Some NBC News people, including political director Chuck Todd and Washington reporter Andrea Mitchell, have attacked the idea as something that would make life difficult for the news division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok