Republicans to challenge health care reform bill in US SC
Washington: With US President Barack Obama
set to sign into law the landmark health care reform bill, the opposition Republican party today announced it would move the Supreme Court against the legislation approved by Congress.
The Republicans, who failed miserably from preventing the
Democrats to get the bill passed in the House of
Representatives on Sunday night with the required 216 votes,
said they would challenge the legislation constitutionally in
the Supreme Court and demanded that it be repealed.
The bill carries a price-tag of USD 940 billion in 10
years and would ban insurance companies from practices like
denying coverage for pre-existing illness, dropping people
from coverage when they get sick or capping life time
Undeterred by the Republican response, a jubilant White
House announced that Obama would be signing the bill into law
White House Press Secretary, Robert Gibbs, said he did
not expect the Republican lawsuit to succeed. "My sense is
that a lot of big pieces of legislation are challenged in some
ways," he said.
"I think that for many decades, the Supreme Court has
recognised Congress` authority under the Commerce Clause to
regulate activities relating to inter-state commerce," Gibbs
Florida`s Bill McCollum, the Republican Attorney General,
announced at a news conference that the lawsuit would be filed
once Obama signs the health care bill into law.
He said he will be joined by his counterparts from the
Republican states of Alabama, Nebraska, North Dakota,
Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and
The health care bill "infringes on each state`s
sovereignty," said McCollum.
Further, Virginia`s Republican Attorney General said his
state too would file a lawsuit challenging the health care
"This bill is terribly wrong for America, and I call on
you to join with me to challenge this bill in every way we
can," said a fund-raising letter from Senator John McCain, who
also said that Democrats should not expect much cooperation
from Republicans the rest of this year.
McCain and another Republican senator decried the effect
health reform legislation has had on the Senate, a day after
the House passed the upper chamber`s bill.
"There will be no cooperation for the rest of the year,"
McCain said during an interview to an Arizona radio affiliate.
"They have poisoned the well in what they`ve done and how
they`ve done it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt