Republicans to field 10 Indian-Americans in 2014 elections
Washington: As part of its effort to change the face of the party, diversify its base and gain the support of this cash rich community, the Republican Party is working to field 10 Indian-Americans in the 2014 Congressional elections.
Around half a dozen Indian-Americans - from various field and States - have been identified and currently undergoing training, before their names could be announced and made public, said Shalabh Kumar, who has been closely associated with such an effort initiated by the Republican Party.
The seats identified by the Republican Party are two each in Illinois (Congressional districts eight and 11), New Jersey (Congressional districts six and 12), New York (Congressional districts three and four) and California (Congressional districts 15 and 17).
Other seats are in Virginia and Maryland.
According to Kumar, so far about half a dozen Indian- Americans have been identified, who are undergoing training and a vetting process, before their names could be announced.
Of the more than 3.5 million Indian-Americans, an overwhelming majority of them support the Democratic Party.
Two of the only Indian-American Governors - Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley - are from the Republican Party and the only Congressmen in the current Congress, Dr Ami Bera, is from the Democratic Party.
Kumar heads the Indian-American Executive Council of the National Republican Congressional Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price