Rescued Chile miners honoured at Presidential palace
Santiago: The 33 miners saved from underground hell in Chile were honoured as heroes on Monday at the presidential palace but lost out at soccer against a team of rescuers captained by President Sebastian Pinera.
Decked out in crisp dark business suits, the men received a medal marking Chile`s independence bicentennial -- while they were trapped underground -- and a replica of the Phoenix capsule that hoisted to them freedom October 13.
The workers, ranging in age from 19 to 63, were trapped for a record 69 days in the San Jose mine and lived for the first 17 days before their discovery off just a tiny spoonful of tinned tuna or salmon each day.
Their dramatic rebirth, pulled painstakingly out of the mine one-by-one by equally heroic rescuers who risked life and limb to get them out, captured the world`s attention and made them a media sensation.
Pinera gave a Chilean flag to the 32 Chilean miners and a Bolivian flag to Carlos Mamani, the only foreigner in the group.
The flags were handed out in the same order the men made it up to the surface.
"We are never going to leave behind another Chilean," said Pinera, "because we have learned our lesson."
The president said he would soon be announcing new measures to improve protection for miners and other workers. He did not immediately provide more details.
Pinera also led the squad of officials and rescue workers in the football friendly at Santiago`s National Stadium. The match, organised by the government as part of the tribute fun, involved 16 players rotated in and out.
Both teams, the rescue workers and officials in red, the miners in white, had the number 33 emblazoned on the backs of their jerseys to honour the survival feat.
But the miners could not emerge victorious on the pitch.
"We agreed that whichever side won got to go back to the presidential palace, and that the losing side had to go back to the bottom of the mine. So now we have to go back there and rescue these guys again," the victorious Pinera joked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city