Rescued US yacht girl says she knew dangers
Saint Denis De La Reunion (France): A
teenaged American girl rescued from her dismasted yacht in the
Indian Ocean told AFP today that she knew the dangers before
setting out to sail around the world.
"My trip`s definitely dangerous... but I think I`m just
as capable as any sailor," Abby Sunderland told AFP by
telephone from the Kerguelen Islands, the remote French
archipelago where she was taken after fishermen rescued her.
"Being dismasted -- that was a chance that I was willing
to take," she added, speaking before setting off today for the
French island of Reunion where her parents were due to meet
her and take her back home to Los Angeles.
A multi-national effort was mobilised to rescue
Sunderland when her 12 metre yacht "Wild Eyes" was dismasted
during a fierce storm on Thursday.
In her interview with AFP today, she thanked officials
and her rescuers who took her onboard a French fishing boat
Saturday after two nights drifting helpless. The boat was
The 16-year-old refused to describe the circumstances of
her demasting but would not blame the rough winter weather in
the Indian Ocean.
"The time of year had nothing to do with what happened to
my boat. I`ve had incredibly good weather my whole entire
trip. I`ve had better weather than most people," she said.
Sunderland said she prepared the trip with the help of
her brother, who himself had sailed around the world, and her
father who is also a sailor.
"I was planning my trip because I loved sailing and I
wanted to sail around the world and I had wanted to for
years," she said.
"I definitely still love sailing just as much as the day
I left and I`m going to keep sailing."
The rescue came just a month after Australia`s Jessica
Watson became the youngest person to sail round the world
non-stop, solo and unassisted, aged 16.
"I was planning to do my trip before I`d ever heard of
Jessica Watson," Sunderland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015