Rescuers reach stranded Russian ship: Official
Moscow: Rescuers evacuated 11 people by helicopter on Saturday morning from a Russian cargo vessel stranded in icy waters off the coast of eastern Russia, an official said.
Russian officials say the evacuees have been flown on a privately owned helicopter to the town of Nogliki on nearby Sakhalin Island, which lies to the north of Japan.
The Smolninsky refrigerated ship was battered by heavy winds on Friday, freezing it over and causing the vessel to list dangerously to its port side in the Sea of Okhotsk, which separates Russia`s Kamchatka peninsula from the mainland.
The Sakhalin rescue centre`s spokesman, Nikolai Ivanov, said the Smolninsky still has 20 crew members on board and is making slow progress to safer waters closer to the shore, some 55 kilometres (34 miles) away, in the hope of saving the vessel.
The Smolninsky collects fresh fish from local boats and delivers the catch to local ports, cleaning, processing and canning much of the produce en route.
Ivanov said he had no information about whether the evacuees were fisheries workers or crew members.
An icebreaking ship belonging to the Sakhalin Energy company is sailing in the vicinity of the Smolninsky to ensure the safety of the crew.
Storms in the area where the ship was stranded have subsided, allowing additional ships to be sent in aid of the Smolninsky. A tugboat is expected to reach the ship by the evening.
The Emergency Service says it has also flown an Mi-8 helicopter to Sakhalin Island from the Russian mainland to bolster the rescue support operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter