Rescuers work to save man trapped in Germany`s deepest cave
Zee Media Bureau
Berlin: Rescuers were working on Monday to bring out a man stuck deep inside a cave in the German Alps after he was injured by falling rocks, an effort that police said could take days as experts negotiate a tricky labyrinth of vertical shafts and bottlenecks.
A four-member rescue team reached the 52-year-old German cave researcher early today inside the Riesending cave system, near Berchtesgaden in Germany`s southeastern corner, police said.
The man, whose name wasn`t released in keeping with German privacy rules, had suffered head and upper body injuries a day earlier. One of his two uninjured companions made a 12-hour climb back to the cave entrance to alert authorities, while the other stayed with him.
The injured man is nearly 1,000 meters (3,300 feet) underground "in one of the most difficult caves in Europe," mountain rescue official Klemens Reindl told n-tv television.
"We have shafts that go straight down 350 meters (1,150 feet), where you have to rappel down and climb back up on a rope," he said. The cave system has tight spots where only a slim person can squeeze through, and explorers also have to contend with water, the mountain rescue service said.
Rescuers laid a telephone line several hundred meters deep on Monday to help the rescue effort, while others set up camps inside the cave system on the border with Austria. They were working in several small teams of up to four people each.
Some 52 cave rescue specialists from Bavaria and another 28 from Austria were at the scene.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray