Rescuers work to save man trapped in Germany`s deepest cave
Zee Media Bureau
Berlin: Rescuers were working on Monday to bring out a man stuck deep inside a cave in the German Alps after he was injured by falling rocks, an effort that police said could take days as experts negotiate a tricky labyrinth of vertical shafts and bottlenecks.
A four-member rescue team reached the 52-year-old German cave researcher early today inside the Riesending cave system, near Berchtesgaden in Germany`s southeastern corner, police said.
The man, whose name wasn`t released in keeping with German privacy rules, had suffered head and upper body injuries a day earlier. One of his two uninjured companions made a 12-hour climb back to the cave entrance to alert authorities, while the other stayed with him.
The injured man is nearly 1,000 meters (3,300 feet) underground "in one of the most difficult caves in Europe," mountain rescue official Klemens Reindl told n-tv television.
"We have shafts that go straight down 350 meters (1,150 feet), where you have to rappel down and climb back up on a rope," he said. The cave system has tight spots where only a slim person can squeeze through, and explorers also have to contend with water, the mountain rescue service said.
Rescuers laid a telephone line several hundred meters deep on Monday to help the rescue effort, while others set up camps inside the cave system on the border with Austria. They were working in several small teams of up to four people each.
Some 52 cave rescue specialists from Bavaria and another 28 from Austria were at the scene.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more