Residents put on alert after fire in Houston park
Houston: Residents have been asked to
remain alert after a massive fire broke out in George Bush
Park in west of Houston.
The Houston Fire Department (HFD) received a call at
around 3 PM reporting a grass fire at the park following which
relief vehicles were rushed to the sight. As many as 60
firefighters have been pressed into service. A Houston Police
Department helicopter has also been deployed to provide aerial
The fire, which is expanding north-northeast pushed by
the winds, was initially contained within park`s ambit, but
flames appear to have jumped across a few roads, HFD officials
said, adding that their plan right now was to let the fire
come to firefighters since the park was surrounded by leaves.
"The park is surrounded by a leave system so if we
strategically place apparatus, we might be able to stop
it when it comes to us rather than going out into the timber
with dozers," said HFD Assistant Chief Danny Snell.
No causality or damage to property has been reported so
far, he said.
Although no evacuations have been ordered yet, people
living around north/north-west of the park have been advised
to remain alert. The Harris County Office of Emergency
Management has written on its official Twitter page that
persons who live north/north-west of George Bush Park should
pay close attention to the fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark