Residents put on alert after fire in Houston park
Houston: Residents have been asked to
remain alert after a massive fire broke out in George Bush
Park in west of Houston.
The Houston Fire Department (HFD) received a call at
around 3 PM reporting a grass fire at the park following which
relief vehicles were rushed to the sight. As many as 60
firefighters have been pressed into service. A Houston Police
Department helicopter has also been deployed to provide aerial
The fire, which is expanding north-northeast pushed by
the winds, was initially contained within park`s ambit, but
flames appear to have jumped across a few roads, HFD officials
said, adding that their plan right now was to let the fire
come to firefighters since the park was surrounded by leaves.
"The park is surrounded by a leave system so if we
strategically place apparatus, we might be able to stop
it when it comes to us rather than going out into the timber
with dozers," said HFD Assistant Chief Danny Snell.
No causality or damage to property has been reported so
far, he said.
Although no evacuations have been ordered yet, people
living around north/north-west of the park have been advised
to remain alert. The Harris County Office of Emergency
Management has written on its official Twitter page that
persons who live north/north-west of George Bush Park should
pay close attention to the fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price