Response to North Korea will send message to Iran: US
Washington: US Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday called for a swift, clear and strong response to North Korea`s "highly provocative" nuclear test to send Iran a message that the world is serious about non-proliferation.
"North Korea`s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile program are a threat now to the United States of America because of what they are pursuing, specifically, as well as to global security and peace...The international community now needs to come together with a swift and clear, strong, credible response, as pledged in the UN Security Council Resolution 2087," Kerry told reporters.
"So my message about this is really simple, that this is not only about the DPRK (Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea - or North Korea) and its continued flaunting of its obligations under three separate UN Security Council resolutions; this is about proliferation," he said, adding that this is also about Iran.
"They`re linked. You connect the dots. It is important for the world to have credibility with respect to our non-proliferation efforts. Just as it is impermissible for North Korea to pursue this kind of reckless effort, so we have said it is impermissible with respect to Iran.
"What our response is with respect to this will have an impact on all other nonproliferation efforts.So that`s why this is important," Kerry said.
US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice, he said pursuing initiatives to seek that kind of response from the world body over the course of the next days.
"We will put energy into that effort. The reasons are the reasons that I stated. I think if you`re going to say things, they have to mean something. And to mean something, you have to be prepared to follow up on them. And that`s exactly what we`re prepared to do," Kerry said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today
- Chilli-based PAVA shells may replace pellet guns in Jammu and Kashmir