Response to North Korea will send message to Iran: US
Washington: US Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday called for a swift, clear and strong response to North Korea`s "highly provocative" nuclear test to send Iran a message that the world is serious about non-proliferation.
"North Korea`s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile program are a threat now to the United States of America because of what they are pursuing, specifically, as well as to global security and peace...The international community now needs to come together with a swift and clear, strong, credible response, as pledged in the UN Security Council Resolution 2087," Kerry told reporters.
"So my message about this is really simple, that this is not only about the DPRK (Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea - or North Korea) and its continued flaunting of its obligations under three separate UN Security Council resolutions; this is about proliferation," he said, adding that this is also about Iran.
"They`re linked. You connect the dots. It is important for the world to have credibility with respect to our non-proliferation efforts. Just as it is impermissible for North Korea to pursue this kind of reckless effort, so we have said it is impermissible with respect to Iran.
"What our response is with respect to this will have an impact on all other nonproliferation efforts.So that`s why this is important," Kerry said.
US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice, he said pursuing initiatives to seek that kind of response from the world body over the course of the next days.
"We will put energy into that effort. The reasons are the reasons that I stated. I think if you`re going to say things, they have to mean something. And to mean something, you have to be prepared to follow up on them. And that`s exactly what we`re prepared to do," Kerry said in response to a question.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know