Response to North Korea will send message to Iran: US
Washington: US Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday called for a swift, clear and strong response to North Korea`s "highly provocative" nuclear test to send Iran a message that the world is serious about non-proliferation.
"North Korea`s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile program are a threat now to the United States of America because of what they are pursuing, specifically, as well as to global security and peace...The international community now needs to come together with a swift and clear, strong, credible response, as pledged in the UN Security Council Resolution 2087," Kerry told reporters.
"So my message about this is really simple, that this is not only about the DPRK (Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea - or North Korea) and its continued flaunting of its obligations under three separate UN Security Council resolutions; this is about proliferation," he said, adding that this is also about Iran.
"They`re linked. You connect the dots. It is important for the world to have credibility with respect to our non-proliferation efforts. Just as it is impermissible for North Korea to pursue this kind of reckless effort, so we have said it is impermissible with respect to Iran.
"What our response is with respect to this will have an impact on all other nonproliferation efforts.So that`s why this is important," Kerry said.
US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice, he said pursuing initiatives to seek that kind of response from the world body over the course of the next days.
"We will put energy into that effort. The reasons are the reasons that I stated. I think if you`re going to say things, they have to mean something. And to mean something, you have to be prepared to follow up on them. And that`s exactly what we`re prepared to do," Kerry said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America