Reviewing nature of assistance to Syrian opposition: US
Washington: Asserting that the US is focused on efforts to help the Syrian opposition become stronger, more cohesive and more organised, the White House today said it is reviewing the nature of its assistance to the Syrian people.
The US assistance to the Syrian opposition so far has been restricted to humanitarian and non-lethal aid.
"We are constantly reviewing the nature of the assistance we provide to both the Syrian people in the form of humanitarian assistance and to the Syrian opposition in the form of nonlethal assistance, which, we have provided," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.
US President Barack Obama, he said, is committed to helping accelerate a political transition in Syria to a democratic and inclusive post-Assad government that protects the rights of all its citizens.
"We are focusing our efforts on helping the opposition become stronger, more cohesive and more organised. As part of this effort, we will continue to analyze every feasible option that would accelerate a political transition to a post-Assad Syria," he said.
US Secretary of State John Kerry, who is travelling now will be participating in a Friends of Syrian People ministerial meeting in Rome on Thursday.
"He will discuss with the Syrian Opposition Coalition leaders how the United States and our international partners can do more to help the Syrian people achieve this transition," Carney said, adding Vice President Joe Biden, conveyed this to coalition President al-Khatib when they spoke earlier this week.
"We will continue to provide assistance to the Syrian people, to the Syrian opposition. We will continue to increase our assistance in the effort to bring about a post-Assad Syria and a better path forward for the Syrian people," he said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy