Reviewing nature of assistance to Syrian opposition: US
Washington: Asserting that the US is focused on efforts to help the Syrian opposition become stronger, more cohesive and more organised, the White House today said it is reviewing the nature of its assistance to the Syrian people.
The US assistance to the Syrian opposition so far has been restricted to humanitarian and non-lethal aid.
"We are constantly reviewing the nature of the assistance we provide to both the Syrian people in the form of humanitarian assistance and to the Syrian opposition in the form of nonlethal assistance, which, we have provided," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.
US President Barack Obama, he said, is committed to helping accelerate a political transition in Syria to a democratic and inclusive post-Assad government that protects the rights of all its citizens.
"We are focusing our efforts on helping the opposition become stronger, more cohesive and more organised. As part of this effort, we will continue to analyze every feasible option that would accelerate a political transition to a post-Assad Syria," he said.
US Secretary of State John Kerry, who is travelling now will be participating in a Friends of Syrian People ministerial meeting in Rome on Thursday.
"He will discuss with the Syrian Opposition Coalition leaders how the United States and our international partners can do more to help the Syrian people achieve this transition," Carney said, adding Vice President Joe Biden, conveyed this to coalition President al-Khatib when they spoke earlier this week.
"We will continue to provide assistance to the Syrian people, to the Syrian opposition. We will continue to increase our assistance in the effort to bring about a post-Assad Syria and a better path forward for the Syrian people," he said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried