Reward for information on missing Indo-Canadian withdrawn
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 18:22
  
Sydney: The family of an Indo-Canadian man who went missing in May this year in a national park in Australia has withdrawn the reward offered for finding him, but remain determined to continue searching.

Prabhdeep Srawn’s sister Mandeep told media that a reward of Australian $50,000 that was offered in June this year and later increased to Australian $100,000 for information about the missing person was withdrawn Tuesday following discussions with those involved in the search efforts, The Canberra Times reported.

“They’ve all indicated that they’re not interested in the reward,” the report quoted Mandeep as saying.

The family said the search has been halted by poor weather over recent weeks but will continue with renewed vigour in the near future.

“Sometimes there are only two people. This week there should be five,” Mandeep was quoted as saying.

Srawn, 25, of Brampton in the Canadian province of Ontario, was last seen May 13 parking his rented vehicle at Charlotte Pass village and entering the Kosciuszko National Park in the Australian state of New South Wales.

A law student of Bond University in Australia's Gold Coast, Srawn was reportedly trying to climb Mount Kosciuszko, the highest peak in mainland Australia that is located within the park.

The family has been optimistic of finding Srawn as he is a master corporal in the Canadian Armed Forces, an Australian Defence Force reservist and has had bushwalking experience.

Despite adverse weather conditions in the Snowy Mountains since his disappearance May 13, the Srawn family has not lost faith.

“We come from strong faith,” Prabhdeep's sister said.

“Until we have something negative to cry about, we want to remain positive.”

The family had returned to Canada last month.

The message withdrawing the reward was also posted on a Facebook page titled 'Help Find Prabh Srawn - Missing Bushwalker'.

“We cannot thank enough all the brave men and women that have helped in the search effort thus far,” the message read.

“As we are approaching a meltdown in the alpine region of Kosciuszko National Park, we would once again request that all those that are interested in volunteering their time to assist in the continued search efforts please inbox message us for further details,” it added.

IANS


First Published: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 18:22


comments powered by Disqus