`Ridiculous` number of debates led to 2012 loss: GOP chairman
Washington: Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus has said the GOP has an image problem, which led to its loss in the 2012 presidential bid.
The Republican Party lost the presidential election against a weak incumbent with a bad economy, and lost seats in both the House and the Senate, only two years after its historic gains in the 2010 midterms.
According to CBS News, RNC Chairman Reince Priebus, previewing a report that revealed what went wrong and how to fix it for the next time on `Face the Nation, which will released on Monday by the Republican National Committee, said that this is unprecedented, and it`s something that the party had to do.
He told host Bob Schieffer that `huge` efforts were required and that included significant changes to the most high profile Republican event of the campaign.
He said that the party has done a really `lousy job of branding and marketing who the party is, adding that most have an image of the GOP as a room full of `stuffy old guys`, but the "reality is that the it is a very young party.
He said an earlier convention will help the eventual nominee go in stronger and come out with more time to try to win the general election.
Priebus will unveil the RNC`s post-2012 election review, called the `Growth and Opportunity Project`, to help the RNC get its job done.
In it, the party pledges to communicate the Republican message better, through a multi-million dollar outreach programme.
The RNC will hire hundreds of new outreach employees, including political directors for growing minority voting blocs: African Americans, Asian-Americans and Hispanics. This effort will include marketing campaigns on college campuses, including historically black colleges and universities.
According to the report, the party will also try to close the technology gap that became apparent after the November election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened