Right-wing wins Bulgaria Presidency
Sofia (Bulgaria): The candidate of the
ruling right-wing GERB party Rosen Plevneliev was elected
Bulgaria`s next president in a run-off today, early exit poll
The popular former construction minister won the
second-round vote with between 54.8 and 57 per cent, ahead of
Socialist candidate and European deputy Ivaylo Kalfin who took
between 43 and 45.2 per cent, according to exit polls by the
MBMD, Sova Harris, Gallup and Alpha Research institutes.
"Bulgaria has elected its next president. His name is
Rosen Plevneliev," Alpha Research analyst Boryana Dimitrova
told state BNT television.
Though pollsters were yet to conduct their re-counts
and official results were not expected until later Sunday,
Dimitrova was categorical that "the distance between the two
cannot be bridged."
GERB had also won a "convincing victory" in the
parallel run-offs for local mayors in all the main cities,
tightening their grip on all major powers in the 6.9 million
country, Dimitrova added.
The party was also quick to claim its election win,
with Interior Minister and election staff chief Tsvetan
Tsvetanov saying: "Of course we won and very convincingly
Plevneliev, 47, who entered politics from the
construction business just two years ago, quickly became
GERB`s most popular minister.
He won praise for his efforts to renovate the
country`s ageing infrastructure and kickstart key highway
construction projects with funds secured through European
Union development grants.
Analysts have however voiced concern that the
inexperienced politician may simply rubber stamp proposals
backed by Bulgaria`s powerful Prime Minister Boyko Borisov,
who pushed Plevneliev to run for the presidency and campaigned
on his behalf.
The Bulgarian presidency, which carries a five-year
term, is largely a ceremonial post with limited powers.
Once he takes office in late January, Plevneliev, will
become the country`s commander-in-chief and will also have the
ability to veto legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video