Rights abuses worsening in China, says US envoy
Beijing: The US ambassador says human rights abuses in China are worsening and becoming a growing concern for the United States even though overall ties between the countries are more entwined.
Gary Locke said in an interview Wednesday after four months in Beijing that overall relations were strong and growing in complexity. That`s especially true in trade where the US is counting on Chinese demand to create American jobs.
However, Locke said human rights abuses had been rising over the past year as Chinese leaders fret over the chances that the democratic uprisings that swept Egypt and other Arab countries might spread to China. He cited the widespread detention and arrest of activists and lawyers and a lack of judicial independence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason