Rights group condemns killing of Dominican student
Santo Domingo: Amnesty International has called for comprehensive reforms within the Dominican Republic`s police department following the fatal shooting of a medical student during a protest.
The human rights group yesterday accused the department of a high number of police abuses, including torture and extrajudicial killings. The group also accused police of throwing tear gas while people tried to help the victim, 22-year-old Willy Florian, after he was shot Thursday.
"Florian`s tragic death should lead to urgent measures to prevent more unlawful killings in the future," said Javier Zuniga, special adviser to Amnesty International.
Florian was shot as dozens of students protesting a sales tax increase clashed with police, but he was not one of the demonstrators. A police officer and a bus ticket collector who also was not participating in the protest were injured. Authorities said they had a video of one protester firing a weapon at police.
The department has appointed a commission to investigate the shooting.
Police chief Jose Armando Polanco yesterday blamed the police commander in charge at the protest. He "did not do what was needed to ensure that these police officers store their weapons and not use them," the chief said.
At least 19 officers were detained after the shooting at the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo, the Caribbean country`s largest university.
Dominican President Danilo Medina has called for an investigation and condemned the use of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?