Rights group criticises Hamas treatment of Israeli
Jerusalem: The US-based group Human Rights Watch says Hamas militants are violating the rules of war by prohibiting a captive Israeli soldier from having contact with his family and the Red Cross.
Human Rights Watch says the treatment of the 23-year-old soldier is "cruel and inhuman" and matches a UN definition of torture because he is denied any outside contact.
Hamas militants captured tank crewman Gilad Schalit inside Israel four years ago and have been holding him in Gaza since then. Negotiations over a deal that would see Israel release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners in return for Schalit have stalled.
Friday`s statement notes Israeli violations of Palestinian rights but says violations by one side "do not justify violations by the other”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!