`Ringing phones` shatter silence on Malaysia Airlines mystery
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Kuala Lumpur: The mystery over what might have happened to the Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 took an eerie turn when reports surfaced saying that the cellphones of the passengers on the missing plane were ringing, but went unanswered.
Chinese media went into tizzy after the reports that the concerned families of the missing passengers managed to connect the calls successfully, but no one picked the call.
In an astonishing live video on state television, a relative was shown dialing up the number of one of the passengers on the flight, and the phone was heard ringing, reported the Mirror.
Meanwhile, the Malaysian military radar has managed to track the missing jet to the Strait of Malacca, a narrow stretch of water running along the Western coast of Malaysia, reported the Reuters.
However, the investigators are still clueless on what went wrong with the Boeing 777 jet even as Malaysia Airlines issued a statement saying that the plane had undergone maintenance checks just 12 days before Saturday and nothing was wrong with the health of the aircraft.
Earlier today, the search for the jet had been widened beyond the flight path to focus on the Western coasts and the Straits of Malacca, the Malaysian Airlines had stated.
But on being asked the reason behind widening the scope of search, Malaysian civil aviation chief, Azharuddin Abdul Rahman refused to answer saying, "There are some things that I can tell you and some things that I can`t."
The Beijing-bound Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 with 239 people on-board disappeared on Saturday between Malaysia and Vietnam after it lost contact with the ground controllers at 1:30 am on that fateful day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday