Rio de Janeiro lights world`s tallest floating Christmas tree
Rio de Janeiro: The world`s tallest floating Christmas tree has been lighted in Rodrigo de Freitas lagoon in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The tree was lighted Saturday night during an event that featured lights, music and fireworks, drawing thousands of people to the lagoon despite the steady rain.
The Christmas tree, which is being illuminated by 3.3 million lights, was officially certified by Guinness World Records as the largest of its kind in the world.
The 542-tonne tree continues a tradition that dates to 1996 and has become a major attraction for tourists visiting Rio de Janeiro during the Christmas holidays.
The tree, which will be lighted every night until Jan 6, will be moved over the next few weeks to two other locations on the lagoon so it can viewed from different parts of the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje