Rio de Janeiro lights world`s tallest floating Christmas tree
Rio de Janeiro: The world`s tallest floating Christmas tree has been lighted in Rodrigo de Freitas lagoon in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The tree was lighted Saturday night during an event that featured lights, music and fireworks, drawing thousands of people to the lagoon despite the steady rain.
The Christmas tree, which is being illuminated by 3.3 million lights, was officially certified by Guinness World Records as the largest of its kind in the world.
The 542-tonne tree continues a tradition that dates to 1996 and has become a major attraction for tourists visiting Rio de Janeiro during the Christmas holidays.
The tree, which will be lighted every night until Jan 6, will be moved over the next few weeks to two other locations on the lagoon so it can viewed from different parts of the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days