Rio-Paris jet crash: 18 victims identified
Brasilia: Eighteen Brazilians are among the 153 victims identified in the 2009 crash of an Air France jet while en route from Rio to Paris, the Foreign Ministry said.
The ministry, quoted by the official Brazil Agency yesterday, said a total of 58 Brazilians were aboard the Airbus A330 when it plunged into the Atlantic off the Brazilian coast, killing 228 passengers and crew from 32 different nationalities.
It added that the families of those identified would be notified and that the remaining 40 Brazilians have not been found.
Of the 154 bodies found, 153 were identified, while 74 others remain at the bottom of the ocean.
Air France and Airbus are being investigated for alleged manslaughter in connection with the crash, notably because of malfunctioning speed sensors known as Pitots.
The airline replaced the Pitots, manufactured by French company Thales, on its Airbus planes with a newer model after the crash.
Victims` families have previously alleged that the involvement of big French corporations such as Airbus and Air France was influencing the affair.
Last August, the French air accident investigation authority BEA released an interim report into the crash in which it said that the pilots were not trained to handle the jet when it stalled in rough weather.
Air France immediately defended its pilots, saying the stall alarm had malfunctioned.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed