Rioters shot at unarmed officers: UK police
London: Masked men fired gunshots at unarmed officers and a police helicopter during this month`s riots in the English city of Birmingham, the city`s police force says.
West Midlands Police on Saturday released footage of the men firing shots during the riots on August 09, and said 11 shots were fired.
Chief Constable Chris Sims called it "a concerted and organised attempt to kill or injure police officers" and appealed for people to help police catch the gunmen.
Police also said on Saturday they had arrested two more suspects over the deaths of three men run down by a car in Birmingham as they protected shops from looters.
A 33-year-old man was arrested on Friday and later released on bail. A 28-year-old man was detained on Saturday.
The arrests bring to nine the number of people arrested over the deaths of Haroon Jahan, 20, and brothers Shazad Ali, 30, and Abdul Musavir, 31. Four have been charged with murder.
More than 1,300 people have been charged over the riots that flared in London and other English cities over four nights, and two-thirds of them have been jailed.
The flood of new inmates has brought the total prison population in England and Wales to a record 86,654, according to official figures — just 1,500 places below the countries` operational capacity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'