RIP Nelson Mandela: Tributes pour in, `Madiba` trends on Twitter
Zee Media Bureau
Johannesburg: Hashtag R.I.P Mandela (#RIPNelsonMandela) was the top trending topic on Twitter on Friday following the death of global anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela.
Mandela, South Africa`s first elected black president, died at his home in Houghton, a suburb of Johannesburg, following a protracted illness. He was 95.
Celebrities, commoners and well known world figures alike, everyone tweeted their shock and sadness at Mandela`s demise.
Twitter itself tweeted a black and white picture of Madiba (Mandela`s clan name) with his clenched fist in the air following his release from prison.
People across the globe and specially South Africans expressed their grief.
Former California governor and Hollywood actor Arnold Schwarzenegger tweeted, saying Madiba`s life is the closest thing to proof of God.
Golfer Tiger Woods tweeted, "Pop & I felt your aura when we met, I feel it today & I will feel it forever. You have done so much for humanity."
Actress Charlize Theron said she is saddened to the depths of her soul. Olympic sprinter Anaso Jobodwana credited Mandela for his own achievements as an athlete.
There have also been formal tributes from many South Africa sports federations.
A minute`s silence has been held at both the cricket test matches under way at the moment, the Ashes in Australia and in Dunedin where the West Indies are playing New Zealand.
Celebrities such as Cristina Milian and Justin Bieber all took to social media to pay their tribute to Madiba.
Some top tweets included —
One of the most special moments in my life was meeting the great Madiba. God rest your soul. I will miss you x
— Lewis Hamilton (@LewisHamilton) December 6, 2013
Nelson Mandela was an inspiration. And there aren't many politicians you can say that about. #RIPNelsonMandela
— Prince Charles (@Charles_HRH) December 6, 2013
— Tevin Naidu (@TevinNaidu) December 6, 2013
The word 'hero' has lost its meaning over time, but yesterday we lost a true one. #RIPNelsonMandela
— Moe Diab (@Moe_Diab) December 6, 2013
telling my 4 yr old son about Mandela on way to school. "Was he a super hero?" he asks. I paused a moment, then said Yes. #RIPNelsonMandela
— Jason Solomons (@JasonCritic) December 6, 2013
"If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner." #RIPNelsonMandela
— Paulus S. Firmanto (@psfirmanto) December 6, 2013
— adoreLOYALwomen (@AdoreLoyalWomen) December 6, 2013
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." #RIPNelsonMandela JOxx
— Jamie Oliver (@jamieoliver) December 6, 2013
#RIPNelsonMandela "What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others!"
— Blood Drop (@iCanSaveLife) December 6, 2013
"Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and I got back up again" #RIPNelsonMandela Legacy Maker.
— Paul Chowdhry (@paulchowdhry) December 6, 2013
“He’s not dead. He’s asleep,” MaMbeki (97) said this morning from her home in the Eastern Cape #RIPNelsonMandela
— ANC YOUTH VOICES (@ANC_YOUTH) December 6, 2013
"No one is born hating another person cause of the colour of their skin or their background or their religion." #RIPNelsonMandela
— LV?? (@elvifitrianaa) December 6, 2013
"Real leaders must be ready to sacrifice all for the freedom of their people." #RIPNelsonMandela
— Irma Laliashvili (@IrmaLaliashvili) December 6, 2013
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it." #RIPNelsonMandela
— @NtembekoSosibo (@NtembekoSosibo) December 6, 2013
"The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."#RIPNelsonMandela
— Anum Hafeez (@anumuae) December 6, 2013
“It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another.” - Nelson Mandela #RIPNelsonMandela
— Sophanara Sok (@SOK765) December 6, 2013
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day