Rival Koreas resume contact via border "hotline"
South Korea has dismissed North Korea`s offer for talks as insincere.
Seoul: North Korea contacted South Korea via a border "hotline" on Wednesday, a government official in Seoul said, in the first direct communication between the neighbours since the North`s deadly shelling of a South Korean island in November.
Pyongyang has called for talks with Seoul, saying it would reopen a Red Cross hotline at the joint border village of Panmunjom and a liaison office in a jointly run industrial park on the northern side of the border.
"They talked from 12:15 to 12:25, and the line is now open," a Unification Ministry official said without providing further details.
The South has dismissed the North`s offer for talks as insincere, saying its actions mirror past tactics to get financial support and aid. Seoul demands the North acknowledge and apologies for two deadly attacks last year.